Choijin Lama Temple Museum
South of Sukhbaatar Square, turn left from Chinggis Avenue into Jamyan Street, which runs parallel to Peace Avenue, and after a few meters you see the curved temple roof of the Choijin Lama Monastery. The monastery was in operation until 1938, since 1942 it has served as a museum. The complex with several temples, an architectural masterpiece of its time, was built between 1904 and 1908 in honor of Choijin Lama, brother of the eighth Bogd Khan. It is one of the few monasteries that survived the ravages of destruction at Buddhist temples unscathed in the 1930s. The museum specializes in the historical and cultural heritage of religious art and the history of Buddhism in Mongolia. Works of art by Mongolian masters, costumes and masks that were used for the Tsam dance ceremonies, musical instruments and images of the gods are exhibited. Main temples are sculptures of Shakyamuni, the founder of Buddhism, the Choijin Lama and his teacher Baldanchoimbal – inside this statue there is a embalmed mummy. There are also scroll paintings, numerous musical instruments and masks. There are four sculptures of Mongolian patron gods in the Maharaja temple. The Zankhan Temple served the Choijin Lama as a place of meditation. Among other things, a bronze sculpture of the buffalo-headed meditation god Yamantaka can be seen here. The Choijin Lama held special summoning and meditation ceremonies at the Yadam Temple, which is somewhat secluded and surrounded by a stone wall and was closed to the public. In the center of the room is a gilded bronze statue of Mahasiddhas, one of 84 Indian masters of supernatural powers who have acquired them through their spiritual practice. On the north side in the Amgalan or Peace Temple there is a self-portrait of Zanabazar, the first head of grand Lamaism. On the opposite side are sculptures of Taras, female manifestations of enlightened wisdom, made by Zanabazar. There is also a small stupa that Zanabazar himself brought to Ulaanbaatar from Tibet.