Amarbayasgalant Monastery is located at the beginning of the Iwen river in front of the Burenkhan mountain in Selenge province. In 1725, Enkh-Amgalan, the king of Manchuria, was created for the first Bogd Zanabazar in Mongolia. In 1726, the Mongolian crafters began the construction and completed it in 1737. When they were seek for the place to build this monastery, they met two kids named Amar and Bayasgalant , so they named the Monastery Amarbayasgalant. During the time of its highlight, it had 6000 monks and was a one of the biggest religious center in Mongolia. There were more than 40 temples in 175m*207m fence and nowadays there are only 28 temples are left. Between 1937-1938, most of the monks of the Monastery were repressed and killed and so the temples. In 1943, Amarbayasgalant Monastery was rebuilt and protected by the government. There are important cultural creations in the Amarbayasgalant Monastery, including 226 volumes of Ganjuur and Danjuur.
Amarbayasgalant is the second most important monastery in Mongolia after Erdene Zuu in Kharkhorin. If you come from Erdenet, you drive off the asphalt road at Baruunburen and follow the piste to the north and later to the east for about 24 kilometers. At the end of the valley, the monastery complex is at an altitude of 2000 meters. But there are also countless other routes to the monastery that are available. Local drivers are familiar with the routes, as the monastery is a popular destination. The facility, which is still intact today, was built in 1727 and dedicated to the great Mongolian Buddhist and sculptor Zanabazar, whose mummified body was brought here from Beijing in 1789. The monastery is built in the Chinese style, which can be seen from the symmetrical layout. At that time, Manchurian state politics wanted to spread Lamaism among the Mongols. Mongolian elements can also be found in architecture. In the main temple Tsogchin Dugan with its high, red wooden pillars there is a very large hall. The building is surrounded by a gallery. In the 1930s, the communists unfortunately destroyed ten of the 50 temples and statues. Valuable art treasures have also been lost over the years. In 1990 the monastery was extensively restored with the help of UNESCO. Today around 50 monks live in the monastery again, in 1936 there were still 2,000.